Phew, what a long morning. Last week, I volunteered to cook for about 20 volunteers who were working on a construction project. Today happened to be the day.
My original plan was to make something cheap yet a little different. I opted for fried rice initially. Seeing that the best fried rice requires cold leftover rice, I spent Thursday firing up 2 rice cookers for this endeavor.
And then I get an email telling me that finger food is preferred. That along with expecting 28 people instead. Fried rice wouldn’t really fly (more one the leftover rice next time) so I went for some serious chili dogs with cheese. Having been vegan and having to put up with the difficulty of finding vegan/vegetarian food, I had to have a vegetarian option of course.
Enter the Smartdog:
Which brings me to the point where I was. With all 4 burners of the stove burning, I was skimming off fat from the chili when I smelled something really funky, kind of a hybrid of bleach and really disgusting cheap plastic wrap. I had no idea what it was initially until I look down and realized that steam from the veggie dogs were blowing in my face.
It tasted as bad as it smelled. My sort-of-vegetarian-but-no-longer friend couldn’t handle them. My roommate and former vegan Jeremy wouldn’t even try them.
So a note to all of you out there – avoid the smart dog. Seriously.